Disgraced maestro Charles Dutoit finds work in Paris
Charles Dutoit, the former longtime artistic director of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra whose career was derailed by multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, has a new gig.
On Sunday, the 82-year-old will be conducting France's National Symphony Orchestra.
In a statement made to the Associated Press, the orchestra said Dutoit was chosen as a last-minute replacement for another conductor who pulled out of the performance last week for medical reasons.
Dutoit will be conducting The Damnation of Faust by Hector Berlioz, and the statement reads that he was the only conductor with the necessary skills who was available.
The orchestra also says the decision to hire him was discussed with the musicians who will be performing.
In 2017, Dutoit became the subject of serious sexual misconduct allegations in several places where he worked, including Montreal, where he served as the MSO's artistic director from 1977 to 2002.
Among his accusers, French singer Anne-Sophie Schmidt claimed that in 1995, Dutoit pushed her against a wall and forcibly kissed her, and claimed he assaulted other women in similar fashion.
In a Facebook post on Thursday, she denounced the orchestra's decision to hand Dutoit the baton.
"I am sickened that Dutoit has been hired...when eight artists across the world have had the courage to denounce him for sexual harassment," she wrote. "It is a knife in the back for those trying to end violence against women. It's just deplorable."
Another musician accused Dutoit of raping her in 1988 when she was auditioning for an orchestra that Dutoit has been a guest conductor for.
Dutoit has vigorously denied the allegations.