Man in critical condition after fire sweeps through Gay Village apartment

A man in his 20s is fighting for his life in hospital after fire swept through an apartment building in the Gay Village Monday morning.

The fire started in a six-unit building near the corner of Logan and Plessis Sts. at around 5 a.m., and became a three-alarm blaze within an hour.

Firefighters found the man unconscious and taken to hospital. Firefighters initially had said the man had died, but now say he's in critical condition in hospital because of smoke inhalation and second-degree burns.

About 20 people were evacuated in all. The cause of the fire isn't known, but fire officials are suggesting a smoke detector in the building wasn't working properly.