Mount Royal to remain open to through traffic all summer
The Montreal Public Consultation Commitee released its report Thursday morning on the Plante Administration's pilot project that closed the road over Mount Royal last year to most vehicular traffic.
The committee says after hearing from more than 13,000 participants the results were inconclusive in terms of "safety", "mountain accessibility" and "user experience".
The commissioners recommend redeveloping Camillien-Houde and Remembrance Road to enhance the user experience while discouraging its use as a simple shortcut across the city for motorists.
Reacting to the report's release, Mayor Valerie Plante says she will respect the Public Consultation Committee's findings.
"Vehicular traffic will be allowed on Camillien-Houde; however, today's report officially marks the end of Camillien-Houde as a highway," she said.
Temporary safety measures will be put in place this summer. A more long term vision will announced sometime next year. The mayor says it is too early to give specifics.
Plante says that while the office's conclusions weren't the ones she hoped for, she calls last year's pilot project a success, because it spawned some vigorous discussion about the future of Mount Royal.
CJAD 800's Matthew Gilmour contributed to this report.
RICHARD CROUSE: Aladdin, Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind, Booksmart
DR. MITCH: the four doctor's visits you need to do to stay healthy
TOM MULCAIR: what did Premier Legault say in Washington?