New safety measures for cyclists after fatal collision on Mount Royal

The City of Montreal says by the end of next week, there'll be temporary security measures on Camillien-Houde Way on Mount Royal, where a young cyclist was killed last week.

Clement Ouimet, 18, was killed on Oct. 4 after colliding with an SUV that was making an illegal U-turn.

Among the measures, an extension of the concrete median after the Belvedere, additional signage reminding motorists that U-turns are forbidden and the installation of a digital speed indicator just beyond the lookout, where the crash took place.

Magali Bebronne, a spokesperson for the cycling advocacy group Vélo-Québec, says the stop-gap measures will have to do for now.

"Extending the centre median will help make sure that nobody does a U-turn in the middle of that curve where there is very little visibility," she said. "Our understanding is that they will be monitoring the situation to see if these measures help or not and we see that as a first step."

Bebronne says they want a better solution — one which ultimately involves fewer cars on Camilline-Houde Way. "We're not asking to restrict all vehicles from going to the Mont Royal, but what we would like to see is that this not be used as a short cut anymore"

A working group is studying all the options.

The new measures will go into effect on Oct. 20.

-CJAD's Kelly Lapare and Shuyee Lee contributed to this report.