News Quiz: How much do you remember from 2018?
On the morning of New Year's Eve, host Ken Connors and producer Sarah Deshaies quizzed each other on the big news events of 2018... how many can you get right?
Note: Answers below... no peeking!
- Why was May 19th a big day for twins Brian and John?
- An op-ed in the New York Times prompted Donald Trump to tweet one word: 'Treason!' What was the content of the article?
- Rappers Cardi B and Offset's tumultuous relationship was one of the top celebrity romances. What is the name of their baby, born in July?
- Quebec director Robert LePage stirred up controversy with a show at the Jazz Festival. What was it called?
- Constance Wu and Henry Golding were the stars of what breakout cinematic hit?
- Who found time to found the People's Party of Canada?
- Which two countries signed a peace agreement after 20 years of conflict?
- Why did Max Pacioretty miss the annual Habs golf tournament?
- What did Flora Macdonald, Beverly McLachlin, Gabrielle Roy and Nellie McLung have in common this year?
- Which iconic Montreal restaurant was sold to a corporation that also owns La Cage aux sports?
- How many seats did the CAQ win on the island of Montreal?
- One of the first things Valerie Plante did as Montreal's new Mayor was to recommend that the city's Police Chief be removed. What was his name?
- What was Michelle Wolf famous for in 2018?
- One of the biggest international stories of this year was the rescue of the trapped boys in a cave in Thailand. How many boys were rescued, along with their coach?
- Aretha Franklin passed away in August. What was her famous moniker?
- Why were the towns of Thousand Oaks and Paradise in the news this year?
- The leaders of which two Asian countries met after years of animosity?
- Which business became the first public company to be worth $1 trillion?
- Who did Justin Trudeau tweet this message to? 'Sorry I can't be with you - but how about Canada pledges $50M to @EduCannotWait to support education for women & girls around the world? Work for you? Let's do it.'
- Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir carried the Canadian flag into the opening of the Pyeongchang Olympic Games. Which Quebecer carried the flag at the closing ceremony?
- Ben and Jessica Mulroney's twin sons were pageboys at the wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry
- The author purports to be a senior member of the White House administration, and describes an resistance within the organiation that works to thwart or soften some of the president's actions.
- Crazy Rich Asians
- Maxime Bernier
- Ethiopia and Eritrea
- He was traded the night before the tournament
- All four were the inspiration for a new bra line put out by Simons. The company later apologized.
- Two ridings: Pointe-Aux-Trembles et Bourget.
- Phillipe Pichet
- Hosting the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- 12 boys, plus their coach
- The Queen of Soul
- Both were destroyed by the California wildfires
- North and South Korea
- Comedian Trevor Noah
- Speed skater Kim Boutin