Opposition councillors once again demanding inquiry into violent metro takedown
Opposition councillors at Montreal city hall are demanding for a second time an independent inquiry into a violent takedown at Villa Maria metro last month by STM agents.
Opposition leader Lionel Perez will table at next month's city council meeting a motion, supported by Snowdon councillor Marvin Rotrand, making that demand.
Opposition leader of @EnsembleMtl @lionelperez says if the Plante administration didn’t listen to their request for independent inquiry into violent Villa Maria metro takedown by STM agents last month, they’ll have to debate their motion on it next month. #CJAD800 #polmtl pic.twitter.com/jO9zR8I2AI— Shuyee Lee (@sleeCJAD) April 30, 2019
Their motion is supported by several cultural community and civil rights groups, including Center for Research-Action on Race Relations (CRARR) and the Côte-des-Neiges Black Community Association.
They made the exact same demand last month during a news conference which was dismissed by Mayor Valérie Plante and the STM, who at the time said their own three day internal inquiry concluded the STM agents followed protocol.
Snowdon councillor @MarvinRotrand is supporting @lionelperez motion for independent inquiry into STM agents’ rough handling of commuter at Villa Maria metro last month. #CJAD800 #polmtl pic.twitter.com/QwJmu0PF8V— Shuyee Lee (@sleeCJAD) April 30, 2019
Two STM agents were seen on a video that went viral using their batons to beat a young man on the metro platform at Villa Maria metro March 7. The man allegedly was causing a disturbance with his basketball and accused of not paying his fare.
Perez and Rotrand claim neither the victim nor key witnesses were interviewed and that an independent inquiry is needed to flesh out the affair and restore confidence in the city and the STM.
Opposition councillors at Montreal city hall supported by civil rights advocates will table motion at next month’s city council meeting demanding independent inquiry into violent Villa Maria takedown by STM agents March 7. Say issue is being swept under the rug. #CJAD800 #polmtl pic.twitter.com/0Vbks6ZwjU— Shuyee Lee (@sleeCJAD) April 30, 2019
Why a homeless shelter was removed from the Cabot Square neighbourhood, how its departure has affected the most vulnerable and what you can do to help.
Former Liberal MNA Russell Copeman explains why school boards are so important to the Quebec Anglophone community.