Parents of cyclist killed on mountain last year launch Tour du Silence
The parents of Clement Ouimet, the 18-year-old competitive cyclist who died last October when a motorist tried to make an illegal U-turn on Camillien-Houde Way, helped launch the Quebec Federation of Sports Cycling's ninth Tour du Silence.
A launch event was held Wednesday on Mount Royal, just a couple of kilometres from the spot where Ouimet, a competitive cyclist, was struck and killed. The first Ride of Silence took place in Dallas in 2003 — founded by a man who lost a friend of his to a cycling accident. Similar events have spread to cities around the world.
The Tour du Silence is an annual event aimed at raising awareness about bike safety and the vulnerability of cyclists on the road.
Ouimet's mom, Catherine Bergeron, is the Tour de Silence's spokesperson. She reminded motorists that every cyclist is someone's son or daughter, or mother or father, and not just an irritant on the road.
"We want everybody to question their behaviour and to be kind, to be attentive to what is happening on the road," she said.
Next Wednesday, the Tour du Silence will be held simultaneously in 23 communities across Quebec.
Catherine Bergeron and Alexandre Ouimet, parents of 18-yr-old cyclist Clément Ouimet, killed on Mount Royal, speak for Ride of Silence, happening next Wed.— Rene Bruemmer (@ReneBruemmer) May 9, 2018
“Pay attention to each other,” Bergeron says to drivers and cyclists. “Be polite. Be patient” pic.twitter.com/C97HAMwgdR