Parents say toddler died after medication mix-up at Sainte Justine Hospital

Saint Justine Hospital says it has launched an internal investigation into the death of a young patient in December, a 23-month old boy who was being treated for cancer.  

The parents tell the Journal de Montreal that little Ghali was mistakenly given an overdose of potassium, which caused a series of heart attacks.  

The hospital admits that medication did play a role in the toddler's death but stops short of blaming a member of the care team.  

The child's parents have hired a lawyer.