WATCH: Police were speeding, zig-zagging when 5-year-old was killed; trial hears

Witnesses at the trial of SQ officer Patrick Ouellet testified that the police officers involved in the surveillance operation the day five-year-old Nicholas Thorne-Belance was killed in an accident were zig-zagging and driving well above the speed limit in a mostly residential area.

Ouellet is charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Thorne-Belance in February 2014 in St. Hubert.

The trial revealed Ouellet was traveling 134 km/h in a 50 km zone in a black unmarked car when he struck the car Thorne-Belance's father was driving. The little boy was in the back seat and his 13-year-old sister was in the side passenger seat.

Two witnesses described their commute that morning, driving in a 70 km/h zone not far from the scene of the accident.

They testified a black Toyota sped past them along with two other vehicles, a Sienna and a beige-khaki coloured car.

Mélanie Ménard testified the black Toyota must have been going over 100 km/h and passed right near her side mirror. Sylvain Gagné testified he was shocked by the speed of the cars and thought they were racing each other.

Another witness testified she tried to help at the scene of the accident. 

Angela Forster testified she unbuckled Thorne-Belance from his car seat because he had trouble breathing. Forster testified the boy had a deep gash on his head and she applied pressure on it.

Forster testified she tried to calm everyone, including the boy's father who was "hysterical" and screaming about his son. Forster said the girl was drifting in and out of consciousness. Forster testified she told her to remain calm and that help was on the way.

After her testimony, the judge thanked Forster for her action that day.

The first witness of the day was an SQ officer who was in charge of the surveillance operation in which they were tailing a subject of interest.

Denis Guérette testified that they re-evaluate their methods when they lose track of or have to catch up with someone they're tailing, including factors such as weather and road conditions.

Upon cross examination, the officer testified that they regularly go over the speed limit - "every day" - when catching up during such operations.

When asked by the judge if there was any urgency that day, the officer replied that there wasn't.

The trial continues.