Possible measles exposure in TMR, St. Laurent, West Island
Montreal's public health department is warning of possible measles exposure in Dollard-des-Ormeaux, St.Laurent and Town of Mont-Royal since May 11.
The first case was reported May 2: a child contracted the measles in France, then passed it along to a sibling and a caregiver in the healthcare system here in Montreal - those cases were reported yesterday.
The healthcare worker had been vaccinated but for some reason, it didn't take.
The public health department says as many as 400 people could have been exposed in six locations: four in DDO, one in TMR and one in St. Laurent:
- École des Sources, 2900 Lake St., DDO, on Saturday, May 11, between 12 p.m. and 1:05 p.m.;
- Tim Hortons, 3760 Sources Blvd., DDO, on May 11 between 12:15 p.m. and 1:25 p.m.;
- Royal Bank, 4400 Sources Blvd., DDO, on May 11 between 12:25 p.m. and 1:35 p.m.;
- Manju Beauté, 3637 Sources Blvd.; DDO, on May 11, between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.;
- Courtyard Marriott Hotel, 7000 Pl. Robert-Joncas, St. Laurent, on Sunday, May 12 between 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.;
- Aventuriers d’Outremont daycare, 196 Bates Rd. in TMR, on Tuesday, May 14, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:35 p.m.
You should be safe if you were vaccinated or born before 1970.
If you are not part of these groups or don't know, Montreal public health says to call 811, get a vaccination and to avoid contact with people at risk of complications from contracting measles:
- children under one year of age
- pregnant women who did not receive the two doses of vaccination and who never had measles
- people with a weakened immune system
Public health director Dr. Mylène Drouin said they are still in contact with the six locations and monitoring the situation.
"Most people are vaccinated because we have a high level of coverage of vaccination in Quebec. Of course, we want to target, to find the groups that at risk," said Drouin at a news conference.
Public health officials say the window for getting the measles after being exposed ends June 14.
There are now seven reported cases of measles in Montreal. Last year there were four.
.@Santepub_Mtl warns of possible measles exposure in DDO, TMR & St.Laurent. Child got it in France, transmitted it here to sibling, healthcare worker administering care(whose own vaccination didn’t work). Locations, days& times can be found here: https://t.co/JJ6oJNSWVk #CJAD800 pic.twitter.com/xXZOuGUCXK— Shuyee Lee (@sleeCJAD) May 16, 2019
.@Santepub_Mtl says as many as 400 people may have been exposed to measles in DDO, TMR & St. Laurent. Locations, days, times here: https://t.co/JJ6oJNSWVk Child got measles in France, sibling & healthcare giver got it from her here. #CJAD800 pic.twitter.com/yzAoXxQdto— Shuyee Lee (@sleeCJAD) May 16, 2019
Gabor Lukacs, Founder and Co-Ordinoator of Air Passenger Rights