RICARDO: Grilled Butterflied Chicken (with Barbecue Sauce!)
PREPARATION 10 MIN
COOKING 1 H 30 MIN
MARINATING 12 H
- 2 chickens, about 4 lb (1.8 kg) each
- 2 tbsp basic dry rub (See recipe)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- On a work surface, using a chef’s knife or kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of each chicken and butterfly them.
- Place the chickens in a large glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the dry rub, then rub with a lemon half. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Preheat half of the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the side of the grill that is off.
- Place the chickens on the side of the grill that is off, skin side down. Close the lid and cook for 45 minutes. Turn the chickens and cook for 35 minutes longer, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh, without touching the bone, reads 180°F (82°C). During cooking maintain a grill temperature of 400°F (200°C). Transfer to a plate.
- If desired, carefully remove the skin of one of the chickens. Dab the skin with a paper towel.
- In a small pot over medium heat, heat 1 inch (2.5 cm) of oil. Fry one quarter of the skins at a time until crispy. Watch out for splattering. Drain on a paper towel. On a cutting board, chop the crispy skin.
- Cut the chickens into 8 pieces each. Arrange the chicken pieces on a platter and sprinkle with the crispy skin. Serve with quick barbecue sauce (see recipe below), if desired.
Quick Barbecue Sauce
PREPARATION 10 MIN
COOKING 8 MIN
OUTPUT 1 1/3 CUPS (325 ML)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) prepared mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple jelly
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a small pot, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Add pepper to taste. Let simmer for 5 minutes. The quick barbecue sauce will keep for 10 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.