RICARDO: Scotch Eggs
PREPARATION 30 MIN
COOKING 10 MIN
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 8 oz (225 g) Toulouse or mild Italian sausage, casing removed (about 2 sausages)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (75 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (65 g) bread crumbs
- Canola oil, for frying
- Fill a small saucepan three-quarters full with water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. With a spoon, gently place the eggs in the simmering water. Cook for 5 minutes, then cool in an ice bath. This may be done the day before. Drain. Gently remove and discard the shells. Set the eggs aside on a plate.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, green onion and mustard. Divide and shape the mixture into 4 thin discs. Holding a disc in your hand, place a peeled egg onto the centre of each disc and shape to completely cover the egg. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. This step may be done the day before.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. Beat the egg in another. In a third dish, place the bread crumbs. Dip one egg at a time in the flour. Shake to remove any excess. Coat with beaten egg. Repeat the process and then coat with bread crumbs. Shake to remove any excess. Set the breaded eggs aside on a plate.
- Gently place the breaded eggs into the hot oil. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, turning during cooking, or until golden brown (see note). Watch out for splattering. Drain on the paper towels.
- When ready to serve, cut the egg in half with a serrated knife. Serve with Green Bean Remoulade.