Surveillance video of mosque shooting won't be made public, judge rules
A judge has nixed a request by various media who wanted the release of certain video footage from the night of the deadly mosque shooting in Quebec City last year.
Superior Court Justice Francois Huot said Wednesday releasing the video would undermine the administration of justice and he added the public does not need to see it to understand the scale of the crimes that were committed.
The footage is related to Alexandre Bissonnette's slaying of six men at the mosque in January 2017.
Huot did allow media, however, to describe the content of the videos.
The Crown argued that releasing the video risked traumatizing victims of the attack or instigating others to commit violence.
The lawyer representing the media consortium said his clients were merely seeking to fulfil their role as providers of information and that they would not have shown any "raw violence.''
Bissonnette, 28, pleaded guilty in March to six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder.
Sentencing arguments are scheduled to begin Wednesday afternoon.
Bissonnette can face consecutive sentences, which could mean up to 150 years in prison, but his lawyers argue he should receive a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years.
They say 150 years in prison is equivalent to sentencing Bissonnette to death by incarceration.
Bissonnette killed six worshippers: Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42; Abdelkrim Hassane, 41; Khaled Belkacemi, 60; Aboubaker Thabti, 44; Azzeddine Soufiane, 57; and Ibrahima Barry, 39.
The counts of attempted murder involved five people who were struck by bullets and a sixth charge encompassed the other people present at the mosque.