Toddler suffers eye burns after detergent pod explodes in his face

The parents of a two-year-old boy in the lower Laurentians want people to know — don't let your kids anywhere near Tide Pods.

Derek Stockwell's toddler suffered severe burns after a detergent pod burst in his face, while he was being babysat by his grandmother last Tuesday.

"My son was being babysat at his grandmother's house because he was sick," the resident of Ste. Marthe sur le Lac said. "He likes to help out, so he was helping out with the laundry...and she gave him a Tide Pod to kind of throw into the washing machine. He missed his shot, and on his second attempt had it blow up in his eyes."

The grandmother tried rinsing out the boy's eyes before calling an ambulance to take him to a hospital, where Stockwell said he spent a half an hour more getting his eyes rinsed out.

"He spent the first 24 hours with his eyes closed, waking up during the night, saying 'my eye is broken,'" he said. "For 24 hours, I assumed he couldn't see and I didn't know if he was ever going to be able to see."

Despite the anxiety on the first night, however, it appears the boy is on the way to a full recovery.

"There was a chemical burn from the Tide Pod in his eye that cause a scratch over one-third of his left cornea.." Stockwell said. "The left eye as of yesterday — the scratch has completely healed."

There is a clear warning on the tubs that Tide Pods are sold in — "pacs can burst if children put them in their mouth or play with them". But even with the best of precautions, some child, somewhere, or even an adult, could get their hands on them and an accident could happen.

Stockwell wonders if they should just be taken off the market entirely.

"That would be one easy way to fix it," Stockwell says. "Are these things even better than regular laundry soap? I don't think so."