UPDATE: Court rejects bid to reinstate Trump travel ban
A federal appeals court in San Francisco has refused to reinstate President Donald Trump's ban on travellers from seven predominantly Muslim nations.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday wouldn't block a lower-court ruling that suspended the ban and allowed previously barred travellers to enter the U.S. An appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is possible.
U.S. District Judge James Robart in Seattle issued a temporary restraining order halting the ban last week after Washington state and Minnesota sued.
The Justice Department appealed to the 9th Circuit.
Government lawyers argued that the ban was a "lawful exercise'' of the president's authority and that the seven countries have raised terrorism concerns.
The states said Trump's executive order unconstitutionally blocked entry based on religion.
President Trump subsequently said the ruling is a "political decision.''
He added the "security of our country is at stake'' and he looks forward to "seeing them in court.''
He did not specify what his administration's next legal steps would be following Thursday's ruling.
Trump also said he doesn't believe the decision undercuts his presidency and said his administration will "win the case.''
Trump made a brief, impromptu appearance in the West Wing following the decision.
His comments were recorded by the network pool at the White House.
Washington state's attorney general says President Donald Trump should withdraw his "flawed, rushed and dangerous'' ban on travellers from seven predominantly-Muslim nations.
Bob Ferguson also said in a statement that if Trump doesn't pull the executive order, he ``will continue to hold him accountable to the Constitution.''
Washington state and Minnesota sued over the ban.