UPDATE: PQ candidate charged with drunk driving pulls out of campaign
PQ candidate Guy Leclair has pulled out of the campaign.
Leclair said he made the decision with regret but felt the party's campaign was too important to be sidelined by questions over recent drunk driving charges.
Leclair was formally charged Wednesday with impaired driving and refusing to obey a police officer in connection with an arrest on July 13.
In a statement issued earlier in the day, Leclair denied he refused to take a breathalyzer and claims he complied with police requests twice.
Leclair has a previous drunk driving conviction from 2013.
PQ Leader Jean-Francois Lisee said he would stand by the party's candidate for the Beauharnois riding but stressed that if Leclair was elected on October 1, he wouldn't be able to sit in the party caucus until his legal matters are resolved.
``I hope he is re-elected,'' Lisee told reporters. ``He is an excellent member of the legislature. But until we get light (on the accusations) he won't sit in caucus.''
Leclair is the incumbent MNA for the riding south of Montreal.
With files from CTV Montreal/Canadian Press