What did Canadians watch on YouTube in 2017?
YouTube has released lists of the top viewed videos in Canada for 2017; they include animals, adorable kids and super hero movie trailers.
Basically the same as it is every year.
The Canada-specific lists are generated as of December 1, which means the trailer for Avengers: Infinity War (released on November 29) did not crack the top 10 despite setting a single-day record for most views worldwide.
The top trending video of the year was a sea lion dragging a young girl into the water off a dock in Richmond, B.C.
"It's just one of those moments that you can't believe you're actually see this and you can't believe somebody actually caught it on tape," YouTube spokesperson Nicole Bell told CTV News.
Canada's most viewed videos (not including music videos or movie trailers)
- Sea lion drags girl into Steveston waters
- Eminem Rips Donald Trump in BET Hip Hop Awards Freestyle Cypher
- Animal Adventure Park Giraffe Cam
- Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
- Northern Ontario Moose vs Wolf
- Woman interrupted during BBC interview
- Sneaky toddler steals Prince Harry's popcorn
- In a Heartbeat - Animated Short Film
- $1 donut vs. $100 donut
- France 24 en direct - 24 hour livestream news channel
As it did with the rest of the world, Despacito by Luis Fonsi claimed top spot; however Bell noted "Unsurprisingly, Canada preferred the Justin Bieber version."
Despacito pulled in more than 4 billion views in 10 months, becoming the most viewed video on YouTube ever.
Top Music Video in Canada
- Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee
- Ed Sheeran - Shape of You [Official Video]
- DJ Khaled ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne - I'm the One
- Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
- Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.
- Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
- The Weeknd - Reminder
- Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay (Lyric Video)
- Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
- Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
Five of the top 10 movie trailers this year involved super heroes while the second position was claimed by a horror film, a feat not seen very often.
"We don't normally see horror movies go that high up the list, which really speaks to the fact that this was a year where horror movies were hugely popular in Canada" Bell said.
The top spot was claimed by the Star Wars: The Last Jedi teaser, with 43 million views since it debuted back in April.
Top Movie Trailers
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser
- IT - Official Teaser Trailer
- Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer
- Black Panther Teaser Trailer
- DEADPOOL 2 Teaser Trailer (2018)
- JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Trailer 1
- THE BOSS BABY "Diapers" Trailer Tease (Animation, 2017)
- THE EMOJI MOVIE Trailer 1 - 3 (2017)
- BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Trailer
- SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING - Official Trailer #2