You'll be able to keep riding Uber for at least another year
The popular ride-hailing app Uber will continue to operate in Montreal.
The year-long pilot project that was scheduled to end on Sunday has been extended for another year.
Transport minister André Fortin made the announcement this week, in one of his last acts before the Liberals hand over the reins of power to the CAQ next week.
A spokesperson for the CAQ's transition team says the party supports the move.
The president of Champlain Taxi, George Boussios, tells CJAD 800 taxi groups in the Greater Montreal area were not consulted prior to the announcement.
"Mr. Legault said that whatever he does with the industry, and with Uber, we will be notified beforehand," he said, "and obviously, this was little bit of a surprise that he would just announce it so quickly without notifying us."
The incoming Legault government says its hoping to collect more information on ride sharing companies and the impact they have on the taxi industry.
Meantime. the outgoing Liberal government had promised to pay the taxi industry $500 million to compensate for losses while Uber has been allowed to operate in Montreal. According to Boussios, so far, only half of that has been paid.