5 things to know for Wednesday, March 13, 2019
The black box from the Boeing jet that crashed and killed all 157 people on board will be sent overseas for analysis as more countries -- including France, the UAE and Iceland -- ground the 737 Max 8 model. Here's what else you need to know to start your day.
1. Ethiopian Airlines: Sunwing Airlines has temporarily grounded its four Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft, but says the move is due to airspace restrictions, not safety issues related to the Ethiopia Airlines crash.
2. College admissions: Fifty people have been charged in an alleged scheme that saw wealthy parents bribing college coaches and insiders to get their children admitted to elite U.S. schools.
3. Divorce deal: Britain's Parliament dealt a major blow to Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday, overwhelmingly rejecting her Brexit deal just 17 days before the U.K. is due to leave the European Union.
4. Caroline Cox: Two Conservative MPs are hosting a reception to promote women's rights in the Middle East that features a keynote speaker who has been accused of promoting anti-Islamic rhetoric.
5. Solar storms: Scientists presenting new evidence of an "enormous" solar storm that struck Earth more than 2,600 years ago warn that the planet is ill-prepared in the likely event of another such cosmic blast.
One more thing…
Roadside attractions: Potholes aren't keeping one Quebec store down, after its owner posted photos of the eyesores being filled in with sharks, the late rocker David Bowie and some dogs rafting.