Fire last week in Trail apartment said to be smoking related

A fire Friday at the Groutage Apartments in Trail was said to be smoking related.

Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue says they found a mattress on fire when they arrived late Friday afternoon.

They were able to contain the blaze to the apartment.

One person was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, but there were no injuries to firefighters.

Officials are reminding residents to make sure that fire alarms are in working order, and to always exit a building when you hear a fire alarm.