Town of Osoyoos Information on Flooding Preparedness


The Town of Osoyoos has declared a State of Local Emergency today, due to the imminent threat of flooding and rising Lake levels which may threaten properties and Town infrastructure.

Osoyoos Lake is experiencing higher than normal levels and asks residents to be prepared for armouring lakeside properties. Wind or wave action can increase the need for higher sandbagging or protection. High groundwater saturation levels are also a concern, and some property’s basements may become susceptible to flooding.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen declared a State of Local Emergency for Electoral Area “A”, rural Osoyoos as high flows in the Similkameen River is causing flooding, bank erosion and overland flooding.

What does a Declaration of State of Local Emergency (SOLE) mean?
Declaring a state of local emergency enables local authorities (Regional Districts, municipalities) in the Province of British Columbia to utilize the emergency powers listed in the Emergency Program Act.
The emergency powers are used by the local authority to order the evacuation of residents from their homes, prohibit travel and enter private property when an emergency threatens lives, property or the environment within the local authority’s jurisdiction.

In the event that the situation deteriorates, residents will be given as much notice as possible via an advance Evacuation Alert which may be followed by an Evacuation Order. Once evacuated, residents should leave the evacuated area immediately and register at the reception centre identified.

For more information:

For immediate inquiries call the RDOS EOC (250) 490-4225


Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:

  • Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a Reception Centre outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
  • Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
  • Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
  • Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
  • Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call 250-490-4225.
  • Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.