Sunday Sees False Ammonia Alarm At Shaw Centre

Members of Salmon Arm's Fire Department were called to the Shaw Centre on Sunday morning.

It was due to an ammonia alarm that had gone off.

Operations Manager Dale Berger says that staff have been retrofitting equipment following the fatal ammonia incident in Fernie, and that Sunday's call was a false alarm "We installed a new detector on our equipment, and it seems there was a faulty reading. There was a call-out to the Fire Department, and our staff, they responded and determined it was a false alarm."

He says that the Shaw Centre was empty at the time, meaning no evacuation was necessary.