Fire Caused by Candle Sends Woman to Hospital

In a media release Greater Sudbury Fire Services say the call was placed at 4:44 Saturday afternoon and a total of 21 firefighters and 5 vehicles were sent in response.

It was discovered the fire was started by a candle and the damage is said to be sever and estimated at $300 000.

Firefighters also rescued a woman who was taken to the hospital, five people were displaced.

In a statment from Greater Sudbury Fire Services they reminded the public that,

"Candles are a common cause of home fires.  Keep lit candles safely away from children and pets and blow out all candles before leaving the room.  Secure candles in a sturdy holder in a location where they can’t be knocked over.  Fires caused by candles are easily preventable."