Fire Crews Made Good Progress on Parry Sound 33 Thursday
By the evening of August 2, there were 47 active forest fires across the northeast. Of these, 21 are not yet under control, 26 are either being held, under control or being observed.
There were NO new fires discovered yesterday.
Parry Sound 33
- Approximately five kilometres west of highway 69 and less than one kilometre south of Pickerel River near the CN trestle bridge on the west side of highway 69.
- 11,185 hectares
- Not under control
- Another great day for crews working and laying hose around the perimeter of the fire.
- Crews continue to make excellent progress in critical areas, especially along the northeast side of the fire near the Pickerel River.
- Higher winds out of the southwest today tested the northeast perimeter, but the water hose lines held and kept the fire’s spread in check. It is estimated that most of the east flank has been tied with water hose lines.
- Waterbombers and helicopters worked in conjunction with the crews to help tie off areas of activity.
- The fire remains south of Key Harbour, and north of the Henvey Inlet waterway. Crews are working on perimeter containment on the southeast side of the fire north of Henvey Inlet.
- The west side of the fire remains unchanged; the fire remained quiet in the vicinity of Fox Island on the western perimeter. Crews continue suppression along the western flank of the fire.
- Protection of buildings and infrastructures continues.
- Tomorrow’s weather calls for another day of southwesterly winds.
- Earlier this week, the Municipality of Killarney issued an evacuation order for residents in the areas of Travers, Allen, Struthers, Kilpatrick, Bigwood (including Hartley Bay Road), a portion of Mowat, the Unsurveyed Area, 14 Mile Island and French River Provincial Park. For information, call the municipality at 705-287-2424.
- Earlier this week, the Municipality of French River issued an evacuation alert for the Alban area, west of the high powered hydro lines on Highway 64. For more information, call the Municipality of French River at 705-898-2294 or visit www.frenchriver.ca
- For inquiries about French River Provincial Park restrictions: 705-857-1630 ext. 224.
- For inquiries about Grundy Lake Provincial Park closure: 705-383-2286 or 705-795-0803.
- Parry Sound and Sudbury districts information, including calls related travel restrictions or to the recommendation of these evacuations and alerts.