Parry Sound 33 Now 11,000 Hectares in Size
By the evening of August 1, there were 49 active forest fires across the northeast. Of these, 21 are not yet under control, 28 are either being held, under control or being observed.
Parry Sound 33
- Approximately five kilometres west of highway 69 and less than one kilometre south of Pickerel River near the CN trestle bridge on the west side of highway 69.
- 11,039 hectares
- Not under control
- Fire behaviour was less active today as high humidity levels and cloud cover aided in fire suppression.
- North and east winds today made for smoky conditions in communities to the south, and are forecasted to be out of the south/southwest tomorrow.
- Winds from the east today changed the fire’s direction and it was held on the west.
- Crews made excellent progress on the eastern side, and are working on the areas that have passed over the CN line from the Pickerel River south..
- Buildings and infrastructures protection continues along the Key and French Rivers areas.
- Crews continue to work the perimeter of the fire north and northwest of Key Harbour.
- Though the focus is on the northeast side, we continue to suppress and monitor all portions of the fire.
- The fire remained quiet in the vicinity of Fox Island on the western perimeter.
- Earlier this week, the Municipality of Killarney issued an evacuation order for residents in the areas of Travers, Allen, Struthers, Kilpatrick, Bigwood (including Hartley Bay Road), a portion of Mowat, the Unsurveyed Area, 14 Mile Island and French River Provincial Park. For information, call the municipality at 705-287-2424.
- Earlier this week, the Municipality of French River issued an evacuation alert for the Alban area, west of the high powered hydro lines on Highway 64. For more information, call the Municipality of French River at 705-898-2294 or visit www.frenchriver.ca
- For inquiries about French River Provincial Park restrictions: 705-857-1630 ext. 224.
- For inquiries about Grundy Lake Provincial Park closure: 705-383-2286 or 705-795-0803.
- Parry Sound and Sudbury districts information, including calls related travel restrictions or to the recommendation of these evacuations and alerts.