Homeowners to receive extra help for flood cleanup

The province says residents who are undertaking recovery activities following major flooding will receive help.

In a press release, the Department of Public Safety says flood debris pickup is being planned in affected areas, with tipping fees being waved at some landfills for non-hazardous materials.

Further, free water testing kits are being provided and fees are being waived for certain building permits and Watercourse and Wetland Alteration permits.

Municipalities will communicate details about debris pickup within their boundaries.

According to the press release, flood debris includes appliances (remove doors and covers for safety), furniture, carpeting, insulation, paper products, and construction debris.

Residents can dispose of non-hazardous items at no charge at the following locations:
- Crane Mountain landfill
- Fredericton Region Solid Waste
- Regional Service Commission 8

Regular household hazardous waste generated by the flood can also be disposed of at these facilities, and residents should inform staff at the gate that they are disposing of flood-damaged items.

The province says it is providing free bacterial testing of water for the owners of private wells who have been directly affected by recent flooding, with water sampling kits available at designated Service New Brunswick centres in the cities listed below, at the Research and Productivity Council or through Health and Safety teams beginning May 7:
- Fredericton
- Burton
- Chipman
- Sussex
- Hampton
- Saint John

Water samples will be sent to the Research and Productivity Council laboratory for testing and results will be made available to the owners of private wells.

Owners of private wells must wait 10 days after floodwaters have receded from their well before beginning the chlorination and sampling process.

In addition, the Department of Public Safety says fees for permits will be waived for residents of local service districts who require a development and building permit, and for all residents who may require a Watercourse and Wetland Alteration (WAWA) permit for work within 30 meters of a watercourse affected by the flood.

According to the press release, development and building permits are required for building, locating, relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing a building or structure in an unincorporated area, and the oermit will trigger an inspection to ensure the structure is built to the National Building Code.

NB Power says fees for reconnection are waived in disaster situations.

The province is urging residents affected by the flooding to report damage by calling 1-888-298-8555 or by registering online.