Impact of health-care program privatization discussed in Bathurst

The Coalition for Seniors' and Nursing Home Residents' Rights says a plan to put management of the province's Tele-Care and Extra-Mural programs in private hands will have an impact on all New Brunswickers;  not just seniors.

Speaking at a meeting in Bathurst last week, executive director Cecile Cassista said the government recognizes the 30 year old Extra-Mural Program works well and that New Brunswickers are worried it will suffer when it's taken over by Medavie in January.

Retired health-care provider Mary Rhona Francoeur meanwhile, says privatization is the 'nail in the coffin of quality'.

Vitalite Health Authority board member Sonia Roy said independently that she fails to see why the government would want to start from ground zero with a program that already has a high success rate.

Medavie is also responsible for ambulance services in New Brunswick.

Around 35 people attended the meeting at the Royal Canadian Legion on Friday, November 3rd.

(with files from the Northern Light)