Jury Selection Monday in Millionaire Murder Trial
One of the most sensational murder cases in Canadian legal history will be back in the spotlight on Monday.
That's when jury selection begins for the retrial of Dennis Oland in the bludgeoning death of his millionaire father.
The verdict from Oland's 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016 and a new trial ordered.
The second trial will start in much the same way as the first, with over a thousand prospective jurors called to a Saint John sports arena where the process of choosing a jury will begin.
It could be time consuming, given the intense publicity surrounding the murder of prominent Saint John businessman Richard Oland in 2011 -- the arrest and laying of the second degree murder charge against his only son, Dennis, in 2013 -- and then a very long and closely watched jury trial in 2015.
Nicole O'Byrne, a law professor at the University of New Brunswick, says it should be possible to find impartial jurors -- the required 12 and at least two alternates -- despite the high-profile nature of the case.
Richard Oland was a member of the well-known Maritime beer-making family and a former executive at the family's Moosehead Brewery.
He was found dead in his Saint John office on the morning of July 7th, 2011.
His secretary found the 69-year-old businessman lying face down on the floor in a pool of blood.
His skull had been shattered by over 40 blows from a weapon that was never found.
Fifty-year-old Dennis Oland -- an investment adviser in Saint John -- has always said he is innocent of the crime.