***UPDATED: E.S.N., P.D.J. students return to class after fire breaks out in school shed

***UPDATED on Tuesday, April 10th at 6:40am.

Students at ESN and Place des Jeunes schools in Bathurst head back to class Tuesday following an unexpected day off on Monday.

Classes were cancelled for the day after a fire broke out in a shed, containing a composter, behind the school's cafeteria.

Bathurst Fire Chief Donald Laffoley says a malfunctioning motor in the shed overheated and ignited surrounding debris which began to smoke.

He says the smoke was sucked up by the school's ventilation system and spread throughout the buildings.