US launches barrage of cruise missiles on Syrian air base

A pair of American destroyers have launched a barrage of cruise missiles at a Syrian air base in response to a deadly chemical attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun on Tuesday, April 4th that killed more than 80 people.

Ottawa says it backs any effort to end what it calls ``atrocities'' in Syria, but adds Canada was not part of the  U-S missile strike.

Global Affairs says Canadian officials have "been in touch" with their American counterparts and are expected to have more to say later today.

National Defence says no Canadian troops were involved in the strike but adds Canada's mission in the region has not changed.

The Syrian government says seven people were killed and nine others wounded in the missile strike and are calling the US strike "reckless" and "irresponsible."

The office of Syria's President issued a statement on Friday, April 7th saying the strike on the Shayrat air base was not based on true facts.

Russia's foreign minister says no Russian servicemen were hurt in the strike but strongly condemned the action saying it violates international law.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has yet to officially comment on the missile strike, however he condemned the chemical attacks earlier this week on Thursday, April 6th.

(with files from the Canadian Press)