EXCLUSIVE: Possible public safety risk involved potential vehicle ramming
NEWSTALK 1010 has obtained an internal police document that suggests the potential threat to public safety, which prompted an increased police presence downtown, involved a potential vehicle ramming attack.
The document reads, "On Wednesday, July 11th, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) received credible information regarding a potential vehicle ramming attack in the area of the CN Tower on Thursday, July 12th."
It goes on to say that in response, police would put an "Enhanced Security Plan," in place which involves the use of heavy vehicles and specialized support units such as the Emergency Task Force.
Toronto Police have since responded to the release of this document saying, "This was a draft operational plan never approved. Our officers were provided with most up to date/accurate info this morning, as was public. Our current policing response in the downtown core is appropriate based on the info we have. We will update public as necessary."
Speaking to reporters Thursday afternoon, Toronto Police would only say that the increased presence of officers is in response to information regarding a, "potential risk to public safety."
Acting Superintendent Mike Barsky said all the venues around the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre remain open for business.
WATCH: The cop in charge offers this explanation surrounding the response to a possible ‘public safety risk’ involving Toronto’s downtown core. A/Supt. Mike Barsky expects extra patrols to last through today... pic.twitter.com/UIbhnLkYwv— NEWSTALK1010 (@NEWSTALK1010) July 12, 2018
He said those in the area will notice more officers and they are continuing to monitor and evaluate the situation.
In a tweet earlier in the day, police said they had increased the presence of officers, "throughout the city and, specifically, in the downtown core,"in response to, "an unconfirmed, uncorroborated piece of information relating to the GTA."
A statement from Premier Doug Ford's office called the situation a "reported threat," and says the premier has been briefed by the provincial security advisor.
Mayor John Tory's office tells NEWSTALK 1010:
"The Mayor was briefed by Chief Saunders this morning and he will be continuing to monitor the situation. We have no further comment at this time and all questions should be directed to Toronto Police."