Girl expected to make full recovery after eating cannabis-infused gummy bears

A young girl on Vancouver Island is recovering after ingesting cannabis-infused gummy bears she found in the back of a vehicle. 

Comox Valley RCMP told CTV News a criminal investigation was launched after the incident, which happened on Tuesday, caused the girl to fall ill.

It's unclear how many gummy bears she ate. 

Her parents immediately brought her to a local hospital, according to police, but from there she needed to be transferred by air to a second hospital for additional treatment.

Police say although she is expected to make a full recovery, the case demonstrates the necessity of keeping cannabis and related products out of the hands of children.

“These are products that need to be treated with the same care and control that we treat our prescription drugs with,” RCMP media relations officer for Comox Valley, Const. Monika Terragni, told CTV News. 

While police say the girl's parents are cooperating with the investigation, it's not known if any charges will be laid.