Grenfell Tower fire believed to have started in refrigerator
Downing Street has ordered an immediate examination of the model of refrigerator that is believed to have sparked last week's Grenfell Tower fire that killed at least 79 people.
Metropolitan Police Detective Supt. Fiona McCormack said the Hotpoint FF175BP fridge-freezer had not been subject to any product recall.
The fire spread quickly through the tower block, leading to concerns that cladding on the building did not meet fire safety rules.
British authorities are studying samples of cladding similar to that used on the west London apartment building that caught fire, killing at least 79 people.
Eleven buildings have now been identified as having combustible cladding such as that used on the Grenfell Tower. The cladding is being studied amid fears that the panels fueled the fire in the 24-story building that was engulfed in less than an hour.
Buildings in London, Manchester and Plymouth are among those where problem cladding has been identified.
Fears about cladding is not limited to apartment buildings, and at least one hotel chain is calling in experts to make certain it meets safety regulations. Premier Inn said Friday it had "concerns" about the material on some of its buildings, though it is different to the type used on Grenfell.