LATEST: Number of Toronto Hydro customers without power has dropped to 2,900

Hydro crews in Ontario and Quebec are making good progress as they continue working round-the-clock to reconnect thousands of customers who lost power during Friday's devastating wind storm.

Winds reaching nearly 120 kilometres per hour tore down trees and power lines and left three people dead.

Hydro One, Ontario's largest power utility, says that by Sunday afternoon more than 68,000 customers remained without electricity, down from a peak of about 200,000.

Toronto Hydro crews have reconnected more than 94 percent of their customers leaving just about 2,900 without electricity, primarily in Etobicoke. At the height of the storm, 68,000 Toronto Hydro customers were left without power - a number that spiked higher than during the devastating ice storm less than three weeks earlier in April.

There's hope that everyone within Toronto will be reconnected to the grid by Sunday evening. However, Toronto Hydro spokesperson Tori Gass says some repairs may take longer. 

"We are in the stage of restoration that does take the longest," she said. "We're really troubleshooting. We're trying to get some of these small outages on in temporary ways, so that means rerouting power, but that [also] means sending crews to do some work in an area that then we can make switches and reroute the power to a different location." 

As for areas serviced by Hydro One, it could be Wednesday before everyone gets their electricity back on. 

In Quebec, approximately 27-thousand people remained in the dark early Sunday morning -- down from a peak of well over 200,000 on Saturday.

All three storm-related deaths happened Friday in Hamilton where a man died after trying the clear a down power line that was live, and in Milton where a tree fell on two men working on tree servicing. One man was immediately pronounced dead, while the second died a day later in hospital. 

- with files from Newstalk 1010