Man shot near CNE grounds identified as father of two from Markham
Police say they're searching for multiple suspects following a fatal shooting at Coronation Park Sunday evening.
Officers from 14 Division, EMS and Toronto Fire were called to the scene at about 6:15 p.m. after gunshots were fired near the park's baseball diamond.
They located a 30-year-old man within the park's picnic area suffering from injuries related to gunshot wounds. Despite trying to revive him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
He's now been identified as Michael Lewis of Markham, a father of two with a third child on the way. Both his partner and his children were with him at the park when he was shot.
"Our investigation to date has led us to believe that shortly before the 911 call, four males approached Mr. Lewis who was in the park here attending a memorial for a male who had been a homicide victim nine years ago," Detective Amanda Thorton told reporters Monday afternoon.
"The males approached Mr. Lewis and after a short conversation, our shooter pulled a handgun and fired multiple shots, striking Michael Lewis at close range."
Thornton says the suspects fled the scene towards Lake Shore Boulevard. She says there were at least 30-40 people attending the memorial at the time of the shooting.
"Because of the obvious chaos, they fled in all directions," she said. She's appealing for anyone with surveillance video in the area to come forward.
Police say Lewis has a dated, minor criminal record. They would not reveal whether he currently has ties to a gang.
“We’re talking about the last weekend before the kids go back to school, a beautiful weekend in Toronto, clear weather, we have the airshow going on nearby, we have picnics,” Const. David Hopkinson said earlier.
“This occurred apparently near a baseball diamond. I know the area is heavily populated, especially today. It’s particularly concerning because anybody could have been caught in the crossfire here.”
Investigators say four people were reported to have fled the scene before police arrived.
The memorial barbecue was being held to honour the life of Kamal Hercules, a 21-year-old who was killed at the corner of Front and Lower Sherbourne on September 5, 2009.
- with files from Claude Feig and CP24