Most stolen vehicles are SUV's
If you drive an SUV in Ontario, check to make sure you've locked it after you've parked.
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is out withtheir annual list of Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles, and it's dominated by high-end luxury SUV's.
"Between 2015 and 2016, Ontario has seen an overall increase of 1% in auto theft, with considerable variations and fluctuations right across the province." said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC. "Many of the high-end vehicles that are stolen in this province will end up in overseas markets or in chop shops where they will be scrapped for parts."
This year's 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in IBC's Ontario region are:
1. 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
2. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
3. 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
4. 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 2WD Pick-Up
5. 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
6. 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD and GMC Sierra 2500 4WD SUVs
7. 2003 Hummer H2 4-door 4WD SUV
8. 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 4-door 4WD and GMC Yukon 4-door 4WD SUVs
9. 2014 Toyota 4-Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
10. 2005 Buick Rainier 4-door 2WD, Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-door 2WD and GMC Envoy SUVs
Interesting to note, that Guelph had the largest auto theft activity increase in Canada at 49%. in Toronto, there was a 4% increase. Also, the rate of recovery for stolen vehicles in Ontario, was up to 60%, which marks a 2% increase from last year.