OFM says careless smoking caused deadly fire in Brampton

The Ontario Fire Marshal says a deadly fire in Brampton back in February was caused by careless smoking.

It happened on February 14th and killed three members of the same family; 19-year-old Amina Kapadia and her parents Iftekhar Niazi and Jyoti Kapadia.

They were renting the main floor of the house on Madison street, near Bovaird Drive and Dixie Road.

Their younger daughter, 9-year-old Zoya, was pulled from the home by a young man who was in the basement apartment.

Sheldon Teague was visiting a friend at the time and said they smelled the smoke.

He kicked in the door, spotted the girl in the hallway, and pulled her to safety.

Zoya suffered smoke inhalation and third-degree burns.

Fire officials say there were no working smoke alarms in the house.