On eve of TTC upload news from province, Tory says city will watch and react
Despite being just a day away from Torontonians expected to find out about the future of Toronto's transit system, the mayor says he still doesn't know what's coming from the provincial government's upcoming announcement on its TTC upload plan.
But John Tory downplayed any concern about the forthcoming details from the province, reportedly coming Wednesday, and confirmed the city will not be part of it.
"I just don't think it's prudent for me as the head of the council and the mayor of Toronto to go to announcements where I'm not fully informed," Tory said Tuesday. "My appearance there could lead to the impression that I support."
While the PCs have kept details close to the chest, various reports peg their TTC plan at upwards of $30 billion, with potentially $4 to $7 billion coming from the city.
Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek last week declined to confirm those figures, but said details would be coming out "in the coming days."
Tory spoke ahead of the city's executive committee meeting, which will include progress being made on the Downtown Relief Line, subway expansion into Scarborough and both the Eglinton east and west LRTs.
The mayor said the city could not adjust its plans because of the upload discussions, especially with the possibility there could be delays.
"I'm concerned about anything that threatens to delay the getting on with the building of the transit that we have approved and it's taken so much time here," he said.
As for not knowing what's coming, Tory said anything that does come out will have to end up in negotiations between the city and the province anyway.
He reiterated that he would oppose an upload plan if it's one he thinks doesn't work for the city, although it's unclear how much power the City could have to fight the province given its widespread powers over transit.
The Toronto Star reports one consideration being mulled over at City Hall is an anti-upload advertising campaign.
Premier Doug Ford has given some hints as to what could come out, for example telling NEWSTALK1010 on March 27th the relief line wouldn't be constrained.
"It's not going to be just a Downtown Relief Line," he said. "It's going to other parts."
He also criticized municipal leaders who have been opposed to his government's plan, which he campaigned on during the provincial election.
"We're a gift that keeps on giving to the city and I don't know if they appreciate it or not, but we're going to be building transit right across the city," he said.