Ontario moving ahead to take over TTC subway system
The Ontario government is moving ahead with a plan to take over Toronto's subway system, appointing a special adviser to help develop the best approach for the move.
The province says Michael Lindsay and an advisory panel of up to three experts will craft recommendations on the building and maintenance of new and existing subway lines, among other issues.
The government says Lindsay will not be paid for his role as special adviser.
Premier Doug Ford, who promised during the spring election campaign to create a regional transportation system, has said uploading Toronto's subway system to the province would benefit the city.
The Progressive Conservative election platform also promised to allow the city to operate the subway system and keep the revenue it generates.
Mayor John Tory, who has previously stated any proposal for controlling the Toronto Transit Commission must be subjected to ``robust consultation,'' weighed in on the announcement Friday through an office press release.
"I have been clear that any decision about our subway system needs to be in the best interests of the people of Toronto and Toronto must be completely involved and consulted as the Premier previously indicated would be the case.
We need to get transit built, and we need to do it faster. I've spent the last four years working with the provincial and federal governments to get this done and I am determined to keep doing that because that is the only way we will keep building transit.
I will wait to hear from the provincial government about the terms of reference for this advisory panel and what it means for our city."
With files from Newstalk 1010