Police investigating five sex assaults near York University
Toronto Police have video of a suspect sought in a string of sexual assaults around York University, dating back to October. He’s described as a black male, 18-25 years old, 5’8-5’10, slim and clean-shaven. Anyone with information is asked to contact police (📹 Toronto Police Service / YouTube) . . . #toronto #torontopolice #torontopoliceservice #police #sexualassault #sexassault #wantedman #wanted #suspect
A post shared by NEWSTALK 1010 (@newstalk1010) on Dec 21, 2018 at 11:18am PST
Police believe the same man is responsible for five sexual assaults and one robbery in the area just south of York University.
The attacks occurred between October 24th and December 20th on or near Sentinel Road. Two of the women were threatened with a knife before being sexually assaulted.
In almost all of the cases the suspect grabbed the women from behind. "We are very concerned about the escalating nature of these occurrances and we are appealing to the community and businesses in the area for information and/or any video they think may be of assistance," says Inspector Dominic Sinopoli. "I would encourage anyone in the area, particularly businesses, who may have video between December 17 and December 20 to preserve the video and contact us. We will make arrangements to come to you."
The suspect is described as a black male, round face, 18-25 years old, 5"8-5"10, slim, and clean shaven.
"We are suggesting that women be vigilant when they are in that area or any area. We don't want people to walk away from this thinking that if they're outside of this area, nothing is going to happen to them. We want women, citizens, to be vigilant, to be aware of their surroundings, be careful when they are walking around with headphones on because they may not hear people approaching from behind," Sinopoli says.
Sexual Assault Incidents reported to police:
- Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at approximately 7:30 p.m. a 20-year-old woman was walking home in the area of Murray Ross Parkway and Sentinel Road. The woman was grabbed from behind and sexually assaulted. She was able to fight the male off and escape.
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018, at approximately 8:50 p.m. a 22-year-old woman was walking in the area of Cook Road and Sentinel Road when she was approached and grabbed from behind by a male. The male sexually assaulted the victim. She was able to break free from the male and fled the area.
- Wednesday December 19, 2018, at approximately 9:30 p.m. a 22-year-old woman was walking along a path on the north side of Finch Avenue West and into Fountainhead Park. She was approached from behind by a male who grabbed her and held a knife to her throat. The male threatened the woman and sexually assaulted her. The suspect also took the victim’s phone and ear buds. She was able to break free and ran to get help.
- Thursday, December 20, 2018 at approximately 9:10 p.m. a 30-year-old woman was walking home from Finch West Subway Station when she was violently attacked by an unknown male near 23 Four Winds Drive. The woman was knocked unconscious by the male. When she regained consciousness, the male forced her onto a secluded pathway within the complex and sexually assaulted her. She was able to flee from the suspect.
- Thursday, December 20, 2018, approximately 9:25 p.m. a 20-year-old woman was in the area of 31 Four Winds Drive. The victim observed a male loitering in the area at that time. The woman was followed by the male. The male approached her and threatened her with a knife and made a demand for her property. The male stole the woman's cell phone and sexually assaulted her. The suspect then fled the area.
Robbery reported to police:
- Monday, December 10, 2018. A woman was sitting on a park bench just east of the tennis courts at 455 Sentinel Road, using her phone, when a male approached her and engaged her in conversation. The male left but then approached the woman again, but from the rear. He grabbed her and a short struggle ensued he was able to take her purse.