Supreme Court orders new trial for parents of boy who died of meningitis
The Supreme Court of Canada has ordered a new trial for a couple who used homemade remedies instead of seeking medical attention for their son who died of bacterial meningitis.
David Stephan and his wife, Collet, were found guilty in 2016 of failing to provide the necessaries of life to 19-month-old Ezekiel in 2012.
Their trial in Lethbridge, Alta., heard that they treated the boy with garlic, onion and horseradish rather than take him to a doctor. The Stephans eventually called 911 but the little boy died in hospital.
The Supreme Court heard arguments from the couple's lawyer and the Crown this morning before making the decision.
The Alberta Court of Appeal upheld the conviction last November, but because the ruling wasn't unanimous, the couple had an automatic right to take their case to the Supreme Court.
David Stephan was sentenced to four months in jail and his wife was ordered to spend three months under house arrest -- the only exceptions being for trips to church and medical appointments.