Two people confirmed dead after shooting in Entertainment District
Toronto Police say two people have died after a shooting in downtown Toronto Saturday night.
Gunfire erupted in the heart of the city's Entertainment District Saturday evening just before 8 p.m., sending people on the street running for cover.
The triple shooting of two men and a woman occurred outside the Cube nightclub near Queen Street West and Peter Street.
Detective Jeff Allington updated the condition of the three victims Sunday morning.
"Unfortunately both of the males, despite the treatment at the hospita,l succumbed to their injuries. The female is expected to make a recovery."
The other male victim had been taken to hospital without vital signs and was later pronounced dead. Their identities have yet to be determined.
"We're still working on trying to confirm the identities of these males and I'm not going to speculate as to who it may have been."
As for suspects, Allington would only say "I can tell you that there were a number of suspects, more than one, but I am not sure on the exact numbers.".
"It's very disturbing," Const. David Hopkinson told CP24. "There are obviously people who are dangerous to the community, we need to get these people off the street."
Bystanders and pedestrians in this heavily travelled part of town were stunned by the gun play.
"They came in two sets," a witness said. "There was a set of three to four,four to five and pause. Then another set of literally three to four, four to five and the scene just turned chaotic."
Toronto has seen a surge in gun violence this year which Mayor John Tory and Police Chief Mark Saunders have blamed primarily on gang activity.
On Sunday morning, Tory tied the shooting to gang violence while talking about it on CP24, although Hopkinson cannot confirm any link.
Tory says he's spoken with the police chief and knows that officers are working hard to ``round these people up and get them off the street.''
- with files from NEWSTALK1010