York high school student ID'd as victim in prom after-party shooting

Flags are flying at half-staff at all York Region District School Board high schools, as police have identified the victim of Friday's deadly shooting at a prom after-party in Whitchurch-Stouffville. 

York Regional Police have identified the victim as 18-year-old Rizwaan Abookbabar Wadee of Vaughan and organizers from a Muslim ball hockey tournament say he was loved by his family and friends. 

"We have seen Rizwaan grow up to be a young man who was kind, respectful of elders and a loving member of his family," the statement from the Salaam Cup says. "His loss is felt with great heartache."

Nicknamed "Rizzi," the organizers say he came from a hockey-mad family, had many friends and that a funeral was held Monday afternoon. 

Although it's believed the party was mostly for students of Bill Crothers Secondary School, Wadee was a student from Maple High School. 

"Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends, and with all of those who are affected by this loss and act of violence," York Region District School Board Director Louise Sirisko said. 

"A tragedy like this deeply affects our communities."

Shots rang out around 4 a.m. Friday at a rented home in on Bloomington Road east of Highway 48. 

While a couple hundred teenagers attended the party, police say almost all were gone when they arrived. 

However, a 16-year-old and 17-year-old were arrested a short time later and are facing various weapons charges, although no official connection has been made with shooting.

It's not clear what led to the shooting or if there's any prior history between the victim and the two teens that were arrested. 

Cst. Andy Pattenden while some partygoers have come forward, they need many more to step up. 

"We know that there was a lot more people there than have come forward," he said, adding they're especially looking for teenagers who took pictures and video. 

"We're going to begin reaching out to people that haven't contacted us as of yet," he said. 

After the shooting, police say they received a call about two men on Bethesda Road, knocking on doors looking for someone to call them a taxi and eventually an arrest was made.