Bayhead man charged with first-degree murder makes court appearance
Crown prosecutors say discussions are continuing with the defence for a Bayhead man charged with first-degree murder in the death of 58-year-old Susan Butlin nearly two years ago.
Ernie Ross "Junior" Duggan appeared in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Truro on Wednesday morning, where voir dire proceedings had been scheduled to continue.
Instead, Crown prosecutor Perry Borden told the media outside the courtroom that the proceedings changed to a status update.
Borden says, however, that Duggan's trial is still scheduled for September 16th to October 18th.
The 51-year-old's return date was planned for June 25th, but a lack of availability in both Supreme and Provincial Court in Truro moved that date to next Friday.
Butlin died on September 17th, 2017.
Duggan had also been charged with attempted murder in relation to a stand-off with police, but that was dropped last August and replaced with several firearms charges.