Another Fire Caused By Careless Smoking

OttawaFire

Another call to smokers about fire safety.  

An improperly discarded cigarette is being blamed for a porch fire in Ottawa on Sunday morning.  

Firefighters had to be called in to Woodmount Crescent, just before 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, just off Merivale Road, and thankfully the fire was put out before it spread to the house or caused any injuries.

The story is similar to cases we've had here recently of cigarettes causing fires in mulch along restaurant drive-through lanes.  

It was just a couple of months ago when firefighters were called to a drive through in Petawawa twice in the same week because cigarettes tossed out of vehicle windows caused fires that nearly spread to the restaurant building itself.

Fire officials are urging everyone to properly discard of cigarettes and to ensure they're not burning in any way.