Careless Smoking Causes Drive-Thru Fire

starbucksfile

A fire beside a restaurant drive-through in Petawawa yesterday was caused by carelessly discarded smoking material.

It was just before 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, when a customer going through the Starbucks drive-through noticed some mulch was on fire close to the building.

Employees tried to put it out and then called 911.

Firefighters used water and shovels to make sure the fire was properly extinguished. 

Officials say many fires like this are reported each year, and say they could prove deadly if not noticed or reported quickly like this one was.

"I would like to stress that each year many fires are reported in flower boxes and gardens that utilize mulch and in some cases these fires are in close proximity to siding on houses or sheds resulting in a serious structure fire that could ultimately prove deadly late at night if not detected", Petawawa Fire Chief Steve Knott told Pure Country 96.7.

"Proper disposal of smoking material both in urban and rural areas is critical", he added.