Blue-Green Algae in Long Lake

blue-green-alge

The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks has advised Public Health Sudbury & Districts that results from samples taken in July from Long Lake are positive for a species of blue-green algae that can create Toxins.

Blue-green algal blooms have an unsightly pea soup appearance and foul smell, and can produce toxins. Residents should avoid using or drinking water from areas where blooms are visible.

If you see a bloom near your property or water intake line... 

  • Avoid using the water for drinking, bathing, or showering, and do not allow children, pets, or livestock to drink or swim in the bloom.
  • Be aware that shallow drinking water intake pipes can pump in blue-green algae.
  • Do not boil the water or treat it with a disinfectant, like bleach, because it breaks open the algae cells, which releases more toxins into the water.
  • Do not rely on water jug filtration systems as they may not protect against the toxins.
  • Avoid cooking with the water because food may absorb toxins from the water during cooking.
  • Follow the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks Guide to Eating Ontario Fish. Exercise caution with respect to eating fish caught in water where blue-green algal blooms occur. Residents should not eat the liver, kidneys, and other organs of fish

For more information on blue-green algae, including a list and map of water bodies with confirmed blooms, please visit phsd.ca

 

Check out what we've been playing!