Jason Aldean takes home top award at the 52nd Annual ACM Awards
The 52nd annual Academy of Country Music Awards took place in Las Vegas last night (April 2nd).
Luke Bryan and second-timer, Dierks Bentley, hosted the show which featured big named performances, a few jokes and a nostalgic closing performance.
The evening kicked off with all five nominees for Entertainer of the Year performing a medley of hits. Jason Aldean sang, “Lights Come On,” Luke Bryan performed, “Move,” Florida Georgia Line sang, “H.O.L.Y.,” Carrie Underwood hit the stage to perform, “Church Bells” and Keith Urban ended things with “Wasted Time.”
Aldean was named the Entertainer of the Year, while Thomas Rhett snagged the awards for Song of the Year for “Die A Happy Man” and Male Vocalist of the Year. Miranda Lambert was another big winner, as she took home Female Vocalist of the Year award for a record-setting eighth time, as well as Album of the Year for The Weight of These Wings.
- The ACM Awards trolled the Oscars' Best Picture flub when announcing the award for Song of the Year. Presenters Nancy O’Dell and David Copperfield announced the winner to be Emma Stone of La La Land. However, the true winner was Thomas Rhett’s “Die a Happy Man.”
- Faith Hill and Tim McGraw stole the show with a first-time performance of their duet, “Speak To A Girl.”
- There was also a tribute to Chuck Berry by Luke Bryan, Dierks Bentley and Joe Walsh, who performed “Johnny B Goode.”
- Florida Georgia Line closed out the show with an epic performance of “God, Your Mama, And Me” with the Backstreet Boys, together ending the live broadcast with an electrifying performance of the boy band’s hit, “Everybody.”
- New Female Vocalist of the Year: Maren Morris
- New Male Vocalist of the Year: Jon Pardi
- New Vocal Duo or Group of the Year: Brothers Osborne
- Vocal Duo of the Year: Brothers Osbourne
- Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
- Songwriter of the year: Lori McKenna
- Single Record of the Year: "H.O.L.Y." by Florida Georgia Line
- Song of the Year - Die A Happy Man
- Album of the Year: The Weight of These Wings by Miranda Lambert
- Video of the Year: "Forever Country" by Artists of Then, Now & Forever
- Vocal Event of the Year: "May We All" by Florida Georgia Line feat. Tim McGraw
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Thomas Rhett
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
- Entertainer of the Year: Jason Aldean
Wow! A police pursuit from the inside of a police car. Crazy!
Whose idea was this? Imagine having to carry that to tables all night!
Last night at the Tony Awards, Robert de Niro had some harsh words for the American president and the crowd reacted with a standing ovation.