House Fire Update

BX Swan Lake and Armstrong-Spallumcheen volunteer firefighters are still on the scene of a house fire on Old Kamloops Road.  

Fire Chief, Bill Wacey says it broke out about 7 o'clock Thursday morning.  It began as a chimney fire and the owner was in the living room when it began, but everyone got out safely.

Wacey says there is shiplap, plywood and shingles, but with two feet of sawdust for insulation, which is making it very difficult to put out.  He says they were able to save a lot of their belongings, but the house is a complete write off.

Traffic is being re-routed as firefighters work to bring it under control in these very cold conditions.  Wacey says it is Minus 24 and causing a lot of challenges for crews.  He says they have about 25 firefighters on the scene and he will likely have to call for more back up.
 
The road is closed in both directions, but he's hoping to have it open by noon.  Wacey says crews will be on the scene till mid-afternoon because it is a very stubborn fire.