Alert Ready test to be conducted in New Brunswick
The national emergency alert system, will be tested in New Brunswick on Wednesday, May 8, at 10:55 a.m.
Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts.
The test will take place on radio, television and wireless devices. Following an audible alarm, the following information will be presented by television on a red background or broadcast by radio: “This is a test of the National Public Alerting System issued by the New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization. This is only a test. If this had been an actual emergency or threat, you would now hear instructions that would assist you to protect you and your family. This is a test only; no action is required.”
Compatible wireless devices will vibrate and the alert sound will play. The accompanying text in both official languages will state that it's only a test.
New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization director Greg MacCallum said “We understand some people are dealing with flooding, but it is crucial the twice-annual test takes place” MacCallum says “Alerts are only issued when there is an imminent threat to life and immediate action needs to be taken. Tests are the only way to ensure the system works as expected.”
The wireless alert part of the system was successfully used in New Brunswick in August 2018 when Environment Canada warned people in Victoria County of a potential tornado.
Alert Ready was developed in partnership with federal, provincial and territorial emergency management officials, Environment Canada and the broadcast industry to enhance emergency preparedness and response in times of crisis.